Warning about e-cigarettes and pets

Electronic cigarette

Following reports that a puppy in Cornwall has died after biting into an e-cigarette refill, vets are warning pet owners to ensure they are kept out of reach of animals.

British Veterinary Association (BVA) President and vet Robin Hargreaves said:

“This is a tragic case and very worrying when you consider how many people are now using e-cigarettes. Nicotine poisoning acts very quickly and can be fatal, especially when large doses are involved. E-cigarettes and refills can easily contain sufficient quantities of nicotine to kill a small animal very quickly.

“If you use e-cigarettes, we recommend storing all equipment safely out of reach of your pet. If you suspect your pet has chewed or eaten an e-cigarette or any toxic substance then it is vital that you contact a vet for treatment as quickly as possible.”

BVA understands that the puppy was a recently rehomed Staffordshire cross. It became unwell on Sunday after apparently consuming an e-cigarette refill and passed away on Monday morning after failing to respond to treatment.

Further Information

Information about other household substances which can be poisonous to pets is available in the Animal Welfare Foundation Pets and Poisons leaflet.

Related media

Tags

Click on a subject to see all related news

Media office contacts