17 Jul 2019
BVA seeks committee members to be a voice for the veterinary profession
BVA is inviting applications from members from within and outside the veterinary profession to join BVA Council, various standing committees and devolved Branch Councils.
The British Veterinary Association is inviting applications from as many as 33 motivated and committed members from within and outside the veterinary profession to join BVA Council, various standing committees and devolved Branch Councils and help shape the future of the profession.
Vacancies are open to members with a range of experience and professional expertise: from individuals with a background in production animal practice and experience in policy development for the Policy Committee to experts in farm animals and small animals for the CPD Committee, and members (including one vet nurse and one lay member) with expertise in animal welfare science, ethics or law for the Ethics and Welfare Advisory Panel. BVA is also looking for two recent graduates who have qualified within the last eight years to join BVA Council to represent the views of their fellow young vets.
There are also a number of opportunities to get involved with BVA Branch Councils in Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, in particular for recent graduates and general practitioners. This role provides a great opportunity for networking with peers and stakeholders and a chance to attend the annual BVA dinner with politicians.
All positions are voluntary, and the work carried out counts towards members’ CPD.
British Veterinary Association President John Fishwick said:
“At a time when the veterinary profession is poised at a pivotal moment, with animal health and welfare and veterinary workforce issues firmly in the spotlight, this is a fantastic opportunity for our members to get involved in shaping BVA policies and indeed the future direction of the profession.
“BVA Council and its various committees are at the heart of the association’s diverse and important work. I would strongly encourage members from a cross-section of professional backgrounds to apply to be representative voices for their peers in what I can promise will be an interesting and highly rewarding experience.”
The vacancies are:
- BVA Council: (2 vacancies for recent graduates) – Members will represent the views of recent graduates, up to 8 years qualified, at BVA Council on a wide range of animal health and welfare and professional issues.
- Policy Committee: (1 vacancy) – Members are selected for their skills and experience in policy development, evidence gathering and research, decision making, and problem solving. This year BVA is particularly keen to hear from members with a background in production animal.
- CPD Committee: (2 vacancies) – The committee is responsible for developing our national multi-species clinical and non-clinical CPD programme. This year BVA is particularly looking for experts in farm animals and small animals.
- Ethics and Welfare Advisory Panel: (6 vacancies) – Members are selected for their expertise in animal welfare science, ethics and/or law. This year we are also looking for 1 vet nurse and 1 lay member.
- Member Benefits Committee: (6 vacancies, including 2 recent graduates) - Members are selected for their skills and experience in analysis and interpretation with excellent oral communication skills and ability to engage positively in debate and discussion.
- Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland Branch Councils: (6 vacancies each)- BVA Branches represent members in the three devolved nations of the UK. Each brings together representatives from specialist and local divisions to interact with the Chief Veterinary Officers and administrations as animal health and welfare is a devolved matter. The Branch Councils are looking in particular for recent graduates and general practitioners.
Nominations for all vacancies close at 9am on 20 August. For any questions regarding the vacancies, contact: email@example.com.
Want to join BVA?
Get tailored news in your inbox and online, plus access to our journals, resources and support services, join the BVA.Join Us Today