BVA's Veterinary Photographer of the Year
Are you a photography enthusiast? Or perhaps you just really enjoy taking great pictures of animals?
The 2021 BVA Veterinary Photographer of the Year Award, sponsored by iM3 veterinary dentistry, is the perfect way to showcase the life of our members and their bonds with animals. Over the last five years of the competition we have received hundreds of entries from vets across the profession with an interest and passion for photography. So brush up your photography skills, start snapping and send in your images.
This year’s Veterinary Photographer of the Year Award is split into three categories which focus on images that will capture the human-animal bond in day-to-day veterinary work, as well as photos of pets or wildlife taken outside of the working environment. Submissions for each category can be taken on a phone or a high-spec camera, and should take into account responsible animal interaction and positive animal health and welfare. Read our advertising guidelines for more information on the responsible use of animals in advertising and imagery.
Sponsored by iM3* veterinary dentistry, the award offers the winner for each category £250 of John Lewis vouchers. The 2021 competition will be open from 11 January to 8 March. Winners will be announced in April. It is planned that the winning images, along with the highly commended entries, will be displayed at BVA Live on 24 – 25 June 2021.
*iM3 is a family-owned veterinary Dental Company established in Sydney Australia over 30 years ago. In that time, iM3 has grown to become a leading veterinary dental company setting the standard in product innovation, industry firsts and continuing education.
Who can enter?
The competition is open to all BVA members. Your membership must be active at the time of entering. BVA employees are not allowed to enter.
Not a BVA member? Find out more about joining BVA.
How to enter
Each member can enter up to two photographs in each category.
Photos must be submitted via our online forms, use the links below to access the application forms. Please have your membership number to hand when you submit your photograph/s.
Before submitting your photo please read our terms and conditions for entering the competition, found at the bottom of this page.
All creatures great and small
An opportunity to look at the vast diversity of the animal kingdom: domestic, agricultural and all aspects of wildlife.
A vet’s life in lockdown
Images that reflect the extraordinary circumstances we have all been thrust into during the Covid-19 pandemic
Happy pets that make us smile
Reflecting the joy of a happy, contented animal
Photos must be original and belong to you. We cannot accept photos that have previously been published, including in other photography competitions. However, it's fine for the photos to appear on Flickr or your own social media sites.
Please submit the original photo (not a copy from social media) as we need your photo(s) to be high quality. The file size for each image should be between 1MB to 5MB. We may contact the winners to ask for higher resolution versions at a later date.
In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, and current government restrictions, BVA is reminding entrants not to breach any guidelines just to get ‘the perfect shot’. Photos taken around the home and garden, and local area are encouraged. Photographs from the past will also be accepted.
One vet community winner 2019
One shot, two lives by Laura Caballero Pastor
Wonderful World of Animals category winner 2017
Rare and native North Ronaldsay and Dartmoor sheep by Jen Rowland
All creatures great and small winner 2019
Conversations at Dawn by Jennifer Dykes
You and Your Work category winner 2017
Happy Gastromony by Mandy Knight
Wonderful world of animals category winner 2016
Egyptian fruit bat in flight by Stephen Powles
Permission and copyright
It is the entrant’s responsibility to get permission from the subject of the photograph. This includes seeking the owner’s permission if the subject is a pet.
Entrants must be the sole owner of the copyright for each photo they submit. Entrants can only submit their own work and must not infringe on any rights of a third party.
By entering the competition, you are granting BVA a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, and irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish and communicate your photo/s to the public. You retain the copyright of your image/s.
Terms and conditions
- You must be BVA member to enter the competition.
- Your BVA membership must be active at the time of entering.
- BVA employees are not allowed to enter the competition.
- How to enter
- All images entered must fit into the specified categories.
- Entries should be submitted via our online form.
- No more than 2 images may be submitted per person per category.
- Entrants must supply their name, email address, image name, image description and date of when the image was taken.
- The competition must be entered in each entrant’s own name. You cannot enter the competition on behalf of anyone else.
- The image size should be between 1MB and 5MB.
- All images must reflect Covid-19 guidance.
- We are unable to accept postal entries.
- The original image should be submitted.
- We cannot accept photos that have previously been published, including in other photography competitions.
- Permissions and copyright
- It is the entrant’s responsibility to get permission from the subject of the photograph. This includes seeking the owner’s permission if the subject is a pet.
- Entrants must be the sole owner of the copyright for each photo they submit. Entrants can only submit their own work and must not infringe on any rights of a third party.
- The prize
- The winner of each category will receive £250 worth of John Lewis vouchers.
- All prizes are non-transferable and there are no cash alternatives.
- Judging and notification
- The entries will be judged by a panel put together by BVA.
- The winners will be notified by email.
- If a winner cannot be contacted or is not available, the judges reserve the right to disqualify them and select another winner from the eligible entries.
- Property rights
- By entering the competition, you are granting BVA a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free licence to reproduce, publish, and communicate your photo(s) to the public - this means your photo(s) could appear in our publications, webpages, emails, membership material, social media channels etc.
- You retain the copyright of your image(s). Where possible, we will credit the photo to you.