BVA's Veterinary Photographer of the Year
The BVA Veterinary Photographer of the Year competition, sponsored by iM3 Dental*, is back for 2023. Now in it’s eighth year, the much-loved competition is the perfect way to showcase the life of members and their bonds with animals.
Whether you're a keen photographer or enjoy a snap on your smart phone, all BVA members are invited to show off their photography skills and enter one or all of this year’s three competition categories.
Applications for our 2023 photo competition are now closed.
*iM3 is a family-owned veterinary dental company established in Sydney Australia over 30 years ago. In that time, iM3 has grown to become a leading veterinary dental company setting the standard in product innovation, industry firsts and continuing education.
The 2023 three categories are:
- Vets at work
- What does life as a veterinary surgeon look like? Capturing the day-to-day life of a vet and the veterinary team in any capacity.
- All creatures great and small
- An opportunity to look at the vast diversity of the animal kingdom: domestic, agricultural and all aspects of wildlife
- Happy pets that make us smile
- Reflecting the joy of a happy, contented animal
Who can enter
The competition is open to all BVA members. Your membership must be active at the time of entering. Not a BVA member? Find out more about joining BVA.
How to enter
Each member can enter up to two photographs in each category via the online forms below.
Applications are now closed.
Note: If a patient is the subject of your photo, please ensure you seek the owner’s permission (see T&Cs below).
Photos must be original and belong to you. We cannot accept photos that have previously been published, including in other photography competitions. However, it's fine for the photos to appear on your own social media accounts.
Please submit the original photo (not a copy from social media) as we need your photo(s) to be high quality. The file size for each image should be between 1MB to 5MB. We may contact the winners to ask for higher resolution versions at a later date.
What you can win
Submitted photos are reviewed by a panel of judges, including the BVA President. The nine finalists will be offered a complimentary ticket to BVA Live where they will be invited to join us for our winners reveal on 11 May in the conference exhibition hall. Winners will receive a £250 John Lewis voucher and all the finalist photos will be displayed at BVA Live.
2022 winners and highly commended
All creatures great and small
Who's arrived? by Pete Orpin
This photo represents many facets every time I look at it. I was high on the beach as there was risk of calving, warm day in Antarctica with cracking noises all around. This Gentou penguin was bemused by what was happening with visitors from another continent.
On the prowl by Jasvinder Kaur (left)
First steps by Nestor Moreno Casanova (right)
Decisions by Laura Caballero
To think about how a sustainable future look like, sometimes is easier if we imagine the opposite. Each decision that we make every day can contribute to the future that we want to create or avoid. What we buy, what we eat. With this photo I can create reflections about how normal and accepted seems the pollution of an industrial factory. The huge impact that it creates in the ozone layer, but also in the oceans. And not only industries and production, food election too. For example, the type of fishing, or not fishing at all. At the end, is our decision, what can drown us or save us.
Collision of Worlds by Robyn Geddes (left)
Dragonfly by Charlotte Clough (right)
Happy pets that make us smile
Chick Lit by Bob Lehner
My pet hen sharing a good book.
With a spring in your step by Laura Keyser (left)
Sweet summer bliss by Savannah Armstrong (right)
One vet community winner 2019
One shot, two lives by Laura Caballero Pastor
You and Your Work category winner 2017
Happy Gastromony by Mandy Knight
Wonderful world of animals category winner 2016
Egyptian fruit bat in flight by Stephen Powles
Permission and copyright
It is the entrant’s responsibility to get permission from the subject of the photograph. This includes seeking the owner’s permission if the subject is a pet.
Entrants must be the sole owner of the copyright for each photo they submit. Entrants can only submit their own work and must not infringe on any rights of a third party.
By entering the competition, you are granting BVA a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, and irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish and communicate your photo/s to the public. You retain the copyright of your image/s.
Terms and conditions
- You must be BVA member to enter the competition.
- Your BVA membership must be active at the time of entering.
- BVA employees are not allowed to enter the competition.
- How to enter
- All images entered must fit into the specified categories.
- Entries should be submitted via our online form.
- No more than 2 images may be submitted per person per category.
- Entrants must supply their name, email address, image name, image description and date of when the image was taken.
- The competition must be entered in each entrant’s own name. You cannot enter the competition on behalf of anyone else.
- The image size should be between 1MB and 5MB.
- We are unable to accept postal entries.
- The original image should be submitted.
- We cannot accept photos that have previously been published, including in other photography competitions.
- Permissions and copyright
- It is the entrant’s responsibility to get permission from the subject of the photograph. This includes seeking the owner’s permission if the subject is a pet.
- Entrants must be the sole owner of the copyright for each photo they submit. Entrants can only submit their own work and must not infringe on any rights of a third party.
- The prize
- The winner of each category will receive £250 worth of John Lewis vouchers.
- All prizes are non-transferable and there are no cash alternatives.
- Judging and notification
- The entries will be judged by a panel put together by BVA.
- The winners will be notified by email.
- If a winner cannot be contacted or is not available, the judges reserve the right to disqualify them and select another winner from the eligible entries.
- Property rights
- By entering the competition, you are granting BVA a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free licence to reproduce, publish, and communicate your photo(s) to the public - this means your photo(s) could appear in internal or external publications, webpages, emails, membership material, social media channels etc.
- You retain the copyright of your image(s). Where possible, we will credit the photo to you.