Canine Health Schemes appeals processes
Making an appeal to the Canine Health Schemes
Owners can appeal their result(s) by following the processes below.
Appeals to the Hip and Elbow Schemes
To appeal a result of a hip score or elbow grade, please follow the process below:
- The owner of the dog must lodge the appeal to the submitting veterinary surgeon within 45 days from the date of dispatch from CHS.
- The veterinary surgeon, who originally took the radiographs and submitted them to the scheme, should lodge the appeal to CHS by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The original radiograph will be re-scored/re-graded by a further pair of scrutineers and then by the Chief Scrutineer, whose decision is final.
- The final result will then be relayed to the submitting veterinary surgeon.
- The original certificate will be kept by CHS.
The cost of an appeal is £123.50 and the process can take up to 4 weeks.
Please also be aware that the appeal process is prepared to either endorse, raise or lower the score/grade.
Appeals to the Eye Scheme
To appeal the result of an eye examination, please follow the process below:
- The owner of the dog must lodge the appeal with CHS within 30 days of the examination. You can contact CHS by email email@example.com.
- The owner may then take the dog, together with the certificate issued by the first panellist, for examination by the Chief Panellist or a panellist from the Eye Panel Working Party. The second panellist will charge the normal fee.
- If the second panellist agrees with the first panellist the appeal will be deemed to have failed and the second panellist will inform CHS accordingly. In such an event, no further appeal is possible.
- The decision of the Chief Panellist at second examination is final, as also is the decision of a panellist from the Eye Panel Working Party acting in consultation with the Chief Panellist and provided that the Chief Panellist agrees with the findings reported.
- In all other circumstances, if the second panellist disagrees with the first panellist the dog shall be referred to the Chief Panellist for further examination without additional fee to the owner.
- The decision of the Chief Panellist will be final and the Chief Panellist will advise CHS of the result accordingly.
- Owners may choose to see the Chief Panellist as the second panellist once an appeal has been lodged with CHS. If so, the normal fee will be charged.
- The final result of any appeal must be received by CHS within 90 days of examination, otherwise the first result may be sent to the Kennel Club and/or the International Sheep Dog Society for publication.
Appeals to the Chiari Malformation/ Syringomyelia Scheme
To appeal a result of a Chiari Malformation/ Syringomyelia assessment, please follow the process below:
- Any application for appeal against the result of a CM/SM assessment must be lodged by the owner with CHS within 45 days from the date of dispatch from CHS. You can contact CHS by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An appeal certificate (available to the submitting veterinary surgeon from CHS) must be completed within 30 days and submitted together with the re-grading fee . In the event of an appeal being lodged proof of posting will not constitute proof of receipt by CHS.
- The original MRI images will be re-assessed by the Chief Scrutineer, whose decision is final, and the new grading result will be relayed in the normal way (NB the first result may already have been submitted to the KC for publication before the second result is received). In any event, the final result will be sent to the Kennel Club for publication.