Avian Influenza advice
Avian Influenza (AI) is a disease of animals caused by influenza A viruses. As the situation is ever changing, we've collated the latest updates and our most important resources.
If you are based in Northern Ireland, please refer to the DAERA website for guidance.
Avian Influenza guidance for vets
We’ve worked with colleagues at BVZS, BVPA, and BSAVA to develop guidance for veterinary professionals presented with backyard poultry or wild birds, following recent outbreaks of Avian Influenza across the UK. The guidance includes clinical signs to look out for, how to examine suspected cases, next steps, and how to report.
Latest version: June 2023
- Vet Record: veterinarians’ knowledge and experience of avian influenza and perspectives on control measures in the UK
- Triage tool for pet and backyard poultry (Reference: Vet Times article by APHA and Henrietta Kodilinye-Sims)
- Bird flu (Avian Influenza): findings in non-avian wildlife
- BVPA: backyard poultry bio-security advice
- HSE: working with highly pathogenic avian influenza virus
- FVE/PVSGEU joint webinar on highly pathogenic avian influenza preparedness