We believe it is more important to target individual aggressive dogs than to single out a particular type of dog as being dangerous. A dog’s behaviour is partly a result of its inherited characteristics but rearing and training provided by the owner are more important to the manner in which a dog behaves.
This guide gives our policy position on banned dogs, advice on what you need to know if presented with a banned type dog, advice to give to clients, and a list of resources promoting responsible ownership and safe interaction with dogs.
Number of pages: 9
This guide contains:
- Our policy position on dangerous dogs
- What you need to know if presented with a banned dog
- Identifying a pit bull terrier type dog
- What advice you can provide to a client if you suspect they own an unregistered dog
- The index of exempted dogs
- Licensing dogs in Northern Ireland
- Dogs that are dangerously out of control
- Resources promoting responsible dog ownership