This template export certificate (fitness to travel), applicable for dogs, cats, and small mammals, is for veterinary practices to download and copy into their practice management system.
Number of pages: 4
Guidance on the fitness to travel certificate
- It can only be used for dogs and cats travelling to countries that don't require an official health certificate signed by an official veterinarian (OV).
- This certificate should be signed by the local veterinary surgeon in their capacity as a private practitioner and not as an OV. Veterinary surgeons holding an OV appointment must not use their OV stamp on this certificate.
- If there is any doubt about whether the importing country requires an official health certificate issued by Defra and signed by an OV, veterinary surgeons should contact their local Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) office for advice.
Please note, this certificate is not part of the EU Pet Travel Scheme.
Guidance for pet owners
- Pet travel advice from Animal Welfare Foundation
- UK Government: Pet travel: Information for pet owners
- UK Government: Pet travel: Entering and returning to the UK