27 Mar 2020 | COVID-19
BVA Scottish Branch exists to represent members in Scotland. It brings together representatives of our specialist and territorial divisions, Government, academic institutions, and research organisations in Scotland.
If you're a BVA member living in Scotland, you'll automatically be a member of BVA Scottish Branch.
Role of the Scottish Branch
Our aims are to:
- Foster the interests of the veterinary profession in Scotland
- Advise on the consensus view of BVA members in Scotland on Scottish and UK issues, particularly with reference to the Scottish Parliament and Government, Scottish law, the National Farmers Union of Scotland, and Scottish animal welfare organisations
- Promote meetings in any part of Scotland for the discussion of veterinary topics and kindred subjects, including assisting in the promotion of CPD provided by the territorial and specialist divisions
Veterinary voice for Scotland
We want to make sure the veterinary voice is heard in the Scottish Parliament and Government.
View our latest campaign activity in Scotland
Representation on BVA Council
Your 2 Scotland representatives on BVA Council are Kathleen Robertson and your regional representative Emma Callaghan.
You can also contact your representatives directly on Scottishpresident@bva.co.uk or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scottish Branch Officer team
- Kathleen Robertson, President
- Melissa Donald, Senior Vice President
- Emma Callaghan, Regional Representative
- Robert Anderson, Honorary Secretary
Scottish Branch Council
The role of the Scottish Branch Council is to:
- Discuss veterinary policy issues as they relate to Scotland and make all efforts to reach a consensus view on those issues
- Assist BVA in formulating policy
Scottish Branch meetings
The Scottish Branch Council meets 3 times a year.
- Scottish Branch teleconference minutes, March 2019 (107 KB PDF)
- Scottish Branch teleconference minutes, December 2017 (241 KB PDF)
- Scottish Branch teleconference minutes, March 2018 (244 KB PDF)
Annual General Meeting
The Scottish Branch holds its AGM in May/June and all BVA members who live in Scotland are welcome to attend.
- Scottish Brand AGM minutes, May 2019 (187 KB PDF)
- Scottish Branch AGM minutes, May 2018 (236 KB PDF)
- Scottish Branch AGM minutes, May 2017 (254 KB PDF)
Scottish Branch activity
Scottish Branch regularly respond to Government consultations on a range of BVA’s priority policy areas and campaigning issues, including pet welfare, welfare at slaughter, animal health and disease monitoring, workforce issues, and Brexit.
Read BVA Scottish Branch’s previous responses to consultations.
All current consultations are available via Consultations - get involved
To learn more about the work of the Scottish Branch, including meeting papers and consultation responses, please contact email@example.com
You can also download the BVA Scottish Branch Constitution 2019-2020 (153 KB PDF)
Scottish Branch Council members
- Melissa Donald (President)
- Grace Webster (Senior Vice President)
- Robert Anderson (Honorary Secretary)
- tbc (BVA Council regional representative)
- Frank Stephen (North of Scotland)
- David Logue (Ayrshire)
- Graham Bell (Dumfries & Galloway)
- Colin Mason (BCVA)
- Ronnie Soutar (FVS)
- Ed Hill (SVS)
- Kathleen Robertson (SPVS)
- James McKeown (AVS)
- Sandy Duncan (VPHA)
- Freda Scott-Park (HIVSS)
- Keith Chandler (BEVA)
- Stephen Anderson (Moredun)
- Vivienne MacKinnon (APHA)
- Tricia Colville (BSAVA)
- George Caldow (Scottish Rural College)
- Sheila Voas (Scottish Government)
- Amy Jennings (Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies)
- Jenny Helm (University of Glasgow’s School of Veterinary Medicine)
- Rob Kelly (recent graduate)
Latest news from Scotland
Comfort in crisis: Leading animal organisations unite to support pets and owners through Coronavirus (COVID-19)
25 Mar 2020 | Animal health
25 Mar 2020
24 Mar 2020 | COVID-19