Back to news list

Making a point on throwing sticks for dogs

10 Mar 2017


BVA's latest survey shows three in four vets see dogs injured by stick throwing antics.

Three in four vets have seen dogs injured by stick-throwing in the last year, according to the latest figures from BVA's Voice of the Veterinary Profession survey.

On Channel 4’s coverage of Crufts this evening (10 March), vet Nick Blayney and vet nurse Nimisha Patel highlighted the issue, dispelling the notion and urging dog owners across the UK to use safe alternatives instead.

Dog injuries from sticks can range from cuts and scrapes in a dog’s mouth to infections from stick-splinters and life-threatening injuries, such as the stick becoming lodged in their throat. Even when the initial wound is treated, splinters of the wood can become buried and lead to infection, requiring subsequent operations or treatment.

RVN Nimisha, who is a member of the British Veterinary Nursing Association’s Council, said, "Personally I’ve only had to deal with a minor injury, where a stick got lodged across the dog’s hard palate, but it still must have been excruciating for the dog – and I know other vets and vet nurses see far worse, far more often!

"We’re learning more and more about our pets, their likes and dislikes, and what’s best for their welfare, so it’s always worth taking a  look at the latest available advice or going and speaking to your local vet to make sure our pets are as happy and healthy as they possibly can be.”

The majority of vets surveyed by BVA had, on average, seen a couple of stick injury cases in the last twelve months – yet one vet had seen 50 cases!

BVA President Gudrun Ravetz said:
“In practice I have seen cases of traumatic stick injuries that have caused real problems for the dogs, and have needed extensive investigations and surgery. Even small splinters can cause big problems. We would never discourage owners from exercising or playing with their dog as there are enormous benefits for their health, as well as our physical health and mental wellbeing, we simply ask that owners swap sticks for dog-safe toys instead to avoid easily preventable and distressing injuries.”
BVA recommends that any owner concerned that their dog may have a stick injury, or who would like information on alternative dog friendly toys, speak to their local vet.


Want to join BVA?

Get tailored news in your inbox and online, plus access to our journals, resources and support services, join the BVA.

Join Us Today

Want the latest updates from BVA?

For tailored content in your inbox, access to world-class veterinary journals, member-only resources and support, join BVA today. Be part of our veterinary community of over 19,000 members.